Recommendation for Dev & Workstation Laptop: Lenovo W520
Where to get: eBay (recommended), or Lenovo Website.
Where did I get mine? eBay.
Why eBay? About 40% the price of the same model on the Lenovo Australia site, including shipping.
What eBay Seller? bunnypan
What specific configuration?
– Core i7 2720QM 2.2Ghz (Quad Core w/ Hyperthreading). Turbo mode = 3.3Ghz NB: This is a “Sandybridge” CPU – latest, fastest as of May 2011
– 8GB RAM (2x 4GB) NB: 2 free slots for adding more ram. See below
– 1920×1080 Matte Screen. NB: IPS Screen. Best colour quality.
– 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD.
– nVidia Quadro 1000M w/ 2GB Video Memory, and Optimus.
– 3 year (1 year battery) RTB Warranty.
– Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 2×2 Wifi card. NB: Can add 3G Modem
What did it cost you? USD$1598 + USD$149 shipping to Australia.
With the prevailing exchange rate – this worked out as just over AUD$1600 on my card, including conversion fees.
What else did you do to it?
Upgraded RAM – two more 4GB DDR3 DIMMS for $55 each. ($110 total)
Replaced HDD – OCZ Vertex 2 250GB SSD. (~$499)
Added a ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 (170W) Model 433830U – USD$240 + shipping.
Why the RAM?
Why not, it was only $110 more, and more ram is almost always useful.